U.S. Highway 92 - Florida
U.S. 92 generally parallels Interstate 4 between the Tampa Bay Area and Daytona Beach via Plant City, Lakeland, Osceola County, Orlando, Sanford, and DeLand. Crossing the Florida peninsula in a southwest to northeast direction, U.S. 92 follows several state roads along its route:
- Florida 687 from St. Petersburg city hall (Junction Florida 595) north to the intersection with Florida 686 and Florida 694
- Florida 600 from that intersection in St. Petersburg east to U.S. 441 in Kissimmee, including mileage in Pinellas County (3.411 miles), Hillsborough County (39.88 miles), Polk County (37.622 miles), and Osceola County (12.605 miles)
- A brief deviation from Florida 600 occurs in Lakeland, where U.S. 92 follows (Florida 517) and Lake Parker Boulevard/Memorial Parkway (Florida 546). Business U.S. 92 follows Florida 600/George Jenkins Boulevard through Lakeland.
- Florida 500 and 600 travel jointly from U.S. 441 in Kissimmee north to Orlando, where U.S. 17-92 split from U.S. 441
- Florida 15 and 600 then head north from U.S. 441 in Orlando to DeLand along the U.S. 17-92 merged section
- Florida 600 from DeLand east to Daytona Beach - a distance of 23.132 miles in Volusia County.
U.S. 92 spends approximately two-fifths of its route merged with U.S. 17. The two routes share pavement between Lake Alfred and DeLand. Parts of the route through Orange County are known as the Orange Blossom Trail. Both U.S. 92 and its sole "child" route, U.S. 192, are located entirely within the state of Florida and are less than 300 miles long, so under the guidelines set forth by the American Association of Highway and Transportation Organizations (AASHTO), U.S. 92 and U.S. 192 should have been decommissioned. However, given the geography of the Florida peninsula, an exception seems warranted in order to allow east-west U.S. routes to serve the area.
U.S. 92 had one business route, in Lakeland. R.V. Droz indicates that this route along Florida 600 was decommissioned in 1998, but many maps still show this urban route signed as such.
U.S. Highway 92 Highway Guides
|Other Perspectives of U.S. 92
||These U.S. 92 shields are found at the west end of Toll Florida 618 (Tampa's Leroy Selmon Crosstown Expressway) near the Gandy Bridge in Tampa. Photo taken 12/27/00.
||Florida 60/Kennedy Boulevard eastbound approaches U.S. 92 west of downtown Tampa. Florida 60 travels east west through this part of Tampa, while U.S. 92 follows Dale Mabry Highway north-south between Gandy Boulevard and Hillsborough Avenue. Photo taken 12/27/00.