Florida's Turnpike is the main toll road connecting Homestead, Greater Miami-Dade, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Port Saint Lucie/Fort Pierce, Orlando, and Wildwood/Ocala through a continuous limited access corridor, roughly parallel to U.S. 27 and U.S. 441. The highway was built in stages between 1957 through 1974:
- Golden Glades Interchange (Junction Interstate 95/Florida 826) north to Fort Pierce - opened in 1957 as the "Sunshine State Parkway"; part of Florida 91.
- Fort Pierce north to Wildwood (Junction Interstate 75) via Orlando - 1964; part of Florida 91.
- Homestead north to Golden Glades Interchange (Junction Interstate 95/Florida 826) - 1974; also known as Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike ("HEFT" or Florida 821).
Florida's Turnpike is part of a larger Turnpike Enterprise System, which also includes:
- Florida 869/Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County
- Florida 417/Seminole Expressway in Seminole County from Orange-Seminole County Line (connects to Orange County's Central Florida Greeneway) north to Interstate 4 in Sanford
- Florida 417/Southern Connector of the Central Florida Greeneway from Interstate 4 to Florida 536
- Florida 429/Western Beltway in Orange County from Interstate 4 in Osceola County to Seidel Road
- Florida 589/Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County
- Florida 589/Suncoast Parkway in Pasco and Hernando Counties
- Western Florida 528/Beach Line Expressway in Orange County from Interstate 4 to Florida 482/Sand Lake Road
- Florida 570/Polk Parkway in Polk County
Other Florida toll roads, such as the remainder of Florida 528/Beach Line Expressway, the remainder of Florida 417/Central Florida Greeneway, Florida 408/Orlando East-West Expressway, Florida 618/Selmon Crosstown Expressway, Florida 112/Airport Expressway, Florida 836/Dolphin Expressway, and Florida 924/Gratigny Parkway are owned and operated by local tolling entities rather than the Florida Turnpike System Enterprise.
For more information, visit Florida's Turnpike Official Web Page.
Florida's Turnpike Highway Guides
- Florida's Turnpike North - Homestead Extension (Florida 821)
- Florida's Turnpike North - Golden Glades to West Palm Beach
- Florida's Turnpike North - West Palm Beach to Kissimmee
- Florida's Turnpike North - Kissimmee to Wildwood
- Florida's Turnpike South - Wildwood to Kissimmee
- Florida's Turnpike South - Kissimmee to West Palm Beach
- Florida's Turnpike South - West Palm Beach to Golden Glades
- Florida's Turnpike South - Homestead Extension (Florida 821)
Construction is underway along Florida's Turnpike between Florida 429 Toll and Florida 528 Toll / U.S. 17-92-441 (Orange Blossom Trail) to both widen the roadway and add sound barriers. Expansion of the Turnpike to eight lanes between Interstate 4 and the Beachline Expressway was completed by April 2008. Additional work on the Turnpike results in a series of new SunPass-only ramps, including those for Consulate Drive (Exit 255), Exit 240 (Kissimmee Park Road), Exit 138 (Becker Road), Exit 107 (Florida 710 / Bee Line Highway), Exit 98 (Jog Road), and Exit 34 (N.W. 106th Street).
Page Updated April 28, 2008