Florida's Turnpike is the main toll road connecting Homestead, Greater Miami-Dade, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Port Saint Lucie/Fort Pierce, Orlando, and Wildwood/Ocala through a continuous limited access corridor, roughly parallel to U.S. 27 and U.S. 441. The highway was built in stages between 1957 through 1974:
- Golden Glades Interchange (Junction Interstate 95/Florida 826) north to Fort Pierce - opened in 1957 as the "Sunshine State Parkway"; part of Florida 91.
- Fort Pierce north to Wildwood (Junction Interstate 75) via Orlando - 1964; part of Florida 91.
- Homestead north to Golden Glades Interchange (Junction Interstate 95/Florida 826) - 1974; also known as Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike ("HEFT" or Florida 821).
Florida's Turnpike is part of a larger Turnpike Enterprise System, which also includes:
- Florida 869/Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County
- Florida 417/Seminole Expressway in Seminole County from Orange-Seminole County Line (connects to Orange County's Central Florida Greeneway) north to Interstate 4 in Sanford
- Florida 417/Southern Connector of the Central Florida Greeneway from Interstate 4 to Florida 536
- Florida 429/Western Beltway in Orange County from Interstate 4 in Osceola County to Seidel Road
- Florida 589/Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County
- Florida 589/Suncoast Parkway in Pasco and Hernando Counties
- Western Florida 528/Beach Line Expressway in Orange County from Interstate 4 to Florida 482/Sand Lake Road
- Florida 570/Polk Parkway in Polk County
Other Florida toll roads, such as the remainder of Florida 528/Beach Line Expressway, the remainder of Florida 417/Central Florida Greeneway, Florida 408/Orlando East-West Expressway, Florida 618/Selmon Crosstown Expressway, Florida 112/Airport Expressway, Florida 836/Dolphin Expressway, and Florida 924/Gratigny Parkway are owned and operated by local tolling entities rather than the Florida Turnpike System Enterprise.
For more information, visit Florida's Turnpike Official Web Page.
Florida's Turnpike Highway Guides
- Florida's Turnpike North - Homestead Extension (Florida 821)
- Florida's Turnpike North - Golden Glades to West Palm Beach
- Florida's Turnpike North - West Palm Beach to Kissimmee
- Florida's Turnpike North - Kissimmee to Wildwood
- Florida's Turnpike South - Wildwood to Kissimmee
- Florida's Turnpike South - Kissimmee to West Palm Beach
- Florida's Turnpike South - West Palm Beach to Golden Glades
- Florida's Turnpike South - Homestead Extension (Florida 821)
Construction is underway along Florida's Turnpike between Florida 429 Toll and Florida 528 Toll / U.S. 17-92-441 (Orange Blossom Trail) to both widen the roadway and add sound barriers. Expansion of the Turnpike to eight lanes between Interstate 4 and the Beachline Expressway was completed by April 2008. Additional work on the Turnpike results in a series of new SunPass-only ramps, including those for Consulate Drive (Exit 255), Exit 240 (Kissimmee Park Road), Exit 138 (Becker Road), Exit 107 (Florida 710 / Bee Line Highway), Exit 98 (Jog Road), and Exit 34 (N.W. 106th Street).
|Scenes pertaining to Florida's Turnpike|
|South of Miami, Florida's Turnpike utilizes the control city of Homestead. This overhead is posted on Eureka Drive eastbound at the split-diamond interchange (Exit 13) of the Turnpike at Cutler Ridge. Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|Eureka Drive eastbound at the northbound on-ramp to Florida's Turnpike. Florida's Turnpike continues five miles north to the split with Florida 874 Toll (Don Shula Expressway). Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|Eureka Drive westbound at the split-diamond interchange with Florida's Turnpike at South Miami Heights and Cutler Ridge. Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|A frontage road connects Eureka Drive southbound with Florida 994 (Quail Roost Drive) and Florida's Turnpike southbound to Homestead and Monroe County. Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|A pedestal dog-house traffic light governs the movements onto the southbound frontage road from Eureka Drive west. Eureka Drive (SW 184th Street) continues west to Larry & Penny Thompson Memorial Park and Lindgren Acres. Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|Heading south on the Exit 13 access road between Eureka Drive and Florida 994 (Quail Roost Drive). Florida 994 heads east to U.S. 1 (Dixie Highway) at Cutler Ridge and west to Florida 997 (Krome Avenue). Photo taken 03/25/06.|
|Florida's Turnpike trailblazers posted at the southbound return ramp from the Snapper Creek Service Plaza in Miami-Dade County. Photo taken 05/06/06.|
|Ramp split of Interstate 4 Exit 77 to Florida's Turnpike north to Ocala and south to Miami. Photo taken 01/14/08.|
Page Updated April 28, 2008